Jump to main content
From outside the EEA / EFTA region

I want to study in Iceland

Student’s residence permits are granted for:

  • Individuals intending to engage in full time studies at a university in Iceland.
  • Post graduate students from foreign universities collaborating with an Icelandic university.
  • Exchange students from acknowledged exchange-student organizations.
  • Interns.
  • Students in technical studies and recognized workplace studies at higher-education level.
  • Graduate looking for employment.

Apply for residence permit for students.


Information about requirements, supporting documents and an application form can be found on the website of the Directorate of Immigration.

Assessments of qualifications and studies

Going through the process of submitting your qualifications and educational degrees for recognition can improve your opportunities and status in the labour market and lead to higher wages. Visit this part of our site to read about the assessment of previous education.